logo


Bury St Edmunds Abbey

Bury St Edmunds Abbey

The Abbey of Bury St Edmunds was once among the richest Benedictine monasteries in England. Its ruins lie in Bury St Edmunds, a town in the county of Suffolk, England …

Landguard Fort

Landguard Fort

Defending the eastern region from attack for over 400 years…

Framlingham Castle

Framlingham Castle

Framlingham Castle is a castle in the market town of Framlingham in the Suffolk Coastal District of Suffolk in England. In common with many other buildings in Suffolk, the main walls of the castle are built with flint. It is unusual, especially for a castle of the time, because it had no keep or central stronghold, but merely a strong curtain wall defended by projecting towers which enclosed the domestic buildings …

Leiston Abbey

Leiston Abbey

In about 1363 the abbey was moved away from what was evidently a rather unhealthy location on swampy ground, and rebuilt on its present site. The old abbey was dismantled for building materials (though a fragment of it can still be seen) and as a result the 14th century abbey incorporates some Norman features …

Lindsey St James's Chapel

Lindsey St James's Chapel

The chapel was almost certainly built to serve the nearby Castle of Lindsey, the earthwork remains of which are visible some 250 metres to the south-east, and it was probably founded by the de Cockfield family …

Orford Castle

Orford Castle

Orford Castle is a castle in the village of Orford, Suffolk, England, located 12 miles (20km) northeast of Ipswich, with views over Orford Ness and Orford Island. It was built between 1165 and 1173 by Henry II of England to consolidate royal power in the region. The well-preserved keep still stands among the earth-covered remains of the outer fortifications …

Saxstead Green Post Mill

Saxstead Green Post Mill

Saxtead Green Post Windmill is a Grade II* listed post mill at Saxtead Green, Framlingham, Suffolk, England which is also an Ancient Monument and has been restored …

Apsley House

Apsley House

Apsley House, also known as Number One, London, was the London residence of the Dukes of Wellington and stands alone at Hyde Park Corner, on the south-east corner of Hyde Park, facing south towards the busy traffic circulation system. It is a grade I listed building …

Chapter House and Pyx Chamber

Chapter House and Pyx Chamber

The Chapter house was built concurrently with the east parts of the abbey under Henry III, between about 1245 and 1253. It was restored by Sir Gilbert Scott in 1872. The entrance is approached from the east cloister walk and includes a double doorway with a large tympanum above …

Chiswick House and Gardens

Chiswick House and Gardens

Chiswick House is a Neo-Palladian, Neoclassical villa situated in Burlington Lane, Chiswick, in the London Borough of Hounslow in England. Built during the reign of George II of Great Britain, it is today a Grade 1 listed building …