Barclodiad y Gawres (Welsh for apronful of the giantess) is a Neolithic burial chamber on the coast of the island of Anglesey in North Wales. It is an example of a cruciform passage grave, a notable feature being its decorated stones. Similar graves and marks exist across the Irish Sea in the Boyne Valley. The chamber has been re-roofed with concrete. Two cremated male burials were found within the south-western side-chamber. The central area contained the remains of a fire
Basingwerk Abbey (Welsh: Abaty Dinas Basing) is the ruin of an abbey near Holywell, Flintshire, Wales, in the care of Cadw (Welsh Heritage).
The abbey was founded in 1132 by Ranulph de Gernon, 2nd Earl of Chester, who brought Benedictine monks from Savigny Abbey in southern Normandy. In 1147, the abbey became part of the Cistercian Order and therefore a daughter house of Buildwas Abbey in Shropshire. In 1157, the abbey was given the manor of Glossop by King Henry
Beaumaris Castle, located in Beaumaris, Anglesey, Wales was built as part of King Edward I’s campaign to conquer the north of Wales. It was designed by James of St. George and was begun in 1295, but never completed. Beaumaris has been designated as a World Heritage site.
Beaumaris castle was positioned to face the royal llys at Abergwyngregyn on the opposite shore of the Menai Strait and was intended, along with Conwy Castle and Caernarfon Castle at either end
Blaenavon Ironworks is an industrial museum in Blaenavon in Wales. The ironworks was of crucial importance in the development of the ability to use cheap, low quality, high sulphur iron ores worldwide. It was the site of the experiments by Sidney Gilchrist Thomas and his cousin Percy Gilchrist that led to "the basic steel process" or "Gilchrist-Thomas process".
It is located close to Blaenavon, in Torfaen, which is a World H
Bodowyr is a Neolithic burial chamber made of a few large stacked stones (also known as a dolmen or a passage grave) in a farmer’s field on the north Wales island
Y Gaer, Brecon (Latin: Cicucium) is a Roman fort situated near modern day Brecon in Mid Wales, Un
Bronllys is a village in Powys, Wales between the nearby towns Brecon and Talgarth. It has recently benefitted from a new bypass as part of the Talgarth Relief Road and Bronllys Bypass scheme.
The village offers a range of services from a petrol station and DIY shop to a Tex Mex restaurant and embroidery and printwear shop. Despite being a tiny village it even has its own swimming pool and small le
Bryn Celli Ddu is a prehistoric site on the Welsh island of Anglesey located near Llanddaniel Fab. Its name means ‘the mound in the dark grove’. It was plundered in 1699 and archaeologically excavated between 1928 and 1929.
During the Neolithic period a stone circle and henge stood at the site. An area of burnt material containing a small human bone from the ear, covered with a flat stone, was recovered.
The stones were removed in the early
Bryntail lead mine is a disused lead mine near Llanidloes in Powys, Wales. It is currently in the care of Cadw.
There were three main shafts, Murray’s, Gundry’s and Western shaft. The majority of the scheduled buildings on the site are associated with Gundry’s shaft, including a barytes mill, two crushing houses, ore bins, roasting ovens and water tanks. On the eastern dressing floor are jigger box placements, three buddles, two more ore bins and washing and picking floors.
Caer Gybi was a small fortlet in Roman Wales in the Roman province of Britannia Superior. Its name in Latin is unknown. Today it stands at the centre of Holyhead in the Welsh county of Anglesey. Holyhead is named Caergybi in Welsh, after the fort.
The fort is one of Europe’s only three-walled Roman forts. The fourth side fronted the sea and was probably the site of a quay. Its date is unknown, but it is generally thought to