logo

Church of St John the Baptist

This medieval Fenland church is filled with light and numerous carved faces peering out of the stonework.

The north aisle has a 13th-century doorway and 14th-century windows. The noble nave arcades and the west tower, with its superb stone-panelled arch and vaulted ceiling, are 15th-century.

Tradition has it that the chancel was destroyed by a flood in 1613 and the south aisle was largely rebuilt in about 1800.

There is also a Perpendicular period octagonal font and a pulpit from 1677.

The churchyard has some intricately detailed gravestones and an obelisk to John Peck, the parish constable (who died in 1851).